Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Bald Truth

Last night I went to a meeting for parents of students who will be enrolling at PV next school year. I am bald. Even though I am not private about my journey with canser, I dislike everyone knowing with one glance that I have it. It's an automatic pity trigger, and it makes it hard for me to be the outgoing person that I normally am. It robs me of my ability to look people in the eye, and turns me into one of those people who is perpetually looking down. I hate it.

On the way out of the meeting, I saw someone I know. She is the mother of one of Sierra's school friends. She also works at Paradise High, so we were colleagues all last year. She has been in my home and I have been in hers. I wouldn't say we are friends, but we are certainly well-acquainted and have always stopped to visit when we have run into each other in other settings. I saw her at the doors, and she saw me. I made eye contact with her and smiled. She did not recognize me, so I walked on by. I certainly didn't want to call her by name and draw attention to the fact that I am unrecognizable. It turns out we were parked right next to each other, and even while getting into our cars at the same time, it never dawned on her who I was.

I cried into my pillow about it.

That is all.

6 comments:

  1. You sure are brave. Why not wear a scarf? Or your wig? Or one of my Rula Lenski hats? You are to be admired for your guts. I don't know how you could feel normal in any way doing that just out of the blue! I'm not being critical. Just letting you know how awesome you are. So sorry you have to go through this type of stuff. It'll pay off in the long run. I feel peace--remember. ILYMTTCT Stephanie Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, blogger is being a little weird. My comment was- You wore your wig to church on Sunday, why couldn't you wear it to the meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People keep thinking I went bald headed to the meeting. I guess I failed to mention that I was wearing a cute hat that says "Life is Good" on it. But despite the cute hat, everyone can tell I am bald. Despite the cute hat, that lady still didn't recognize me. As for the wig, I hate it. I wore it Sunday, but I was in the bathroom taking it off and adjusting it several times while I was there. It is itchy all over and full in all the wrong places. I doubt I'll be wearing it again. Later this month I am going to a class to learn how to wear scarves and do-rags in fashionable ways. I'm hoping that'll help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take the wig you bought that you're not going to be wearing again and cut hair from it(keep the layers or stitching that hold the hair together in place.) Then hand sew it into a hat or scarf or head cover. You can have bangs that way and hair at the back of your head on your neck, etc. Looks cute and more natural than just a "bare hat." Experiment--you could have dread locks attached!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Aunt LaDawn, I'm so sorry your feelings, your heart, YOU have to go through this. (PS- as I was reading the comments and before I got to your explanation, I thought- "Hello, she probably hated the wig!!") I love ya and wish I could give you a big hug!

    ReplyDelete