Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Glorious Weekend!

I can't let too much time go by before I update because a) I don't want the glory to fade from my spectacular weekend, and b) I always hate leaving negative posts (like my last one) for too long. So, here goes.

My last chemo was rough. It was rough the day of and it was rough recovering. Thursday I felt well enough to go out to lunch with my ladies, which was fabulous . . .

Deborah, Julie and Robin
. . . but then it was back down for me. In a stroke of irony and affirmation, the Senecot S I finally used to medicate for excretory symptoms backfired (try not to think of that as a play on words) and had me in bed---and in proximity to my toilet---literally all day Friday. I ate next to nothing, and probably didn't drink as much as I should have either. I was very weak.

Saturday morning the kids and I went to my sister Stacy's house to watch conference and await the arrival of my brother Jon and his family, who came to California on their Spring Break. They live in Utah and we don't see them very often. To our surprise, they also brought with them my sister Jamie and her daughters, who live in Fresno. So all four of us siblings were together for one day, and it was nothing short of wonderful!

Jon Black, Stacy Black Doughman, LaDawn Black Hall, Jamie Black Standing



Here are cousins (from top left) Sophie, Kylie, Knox (the lone boy), Kari, Kirsten, Nikki, Sierra, Jade, Courtney and Jacie



We finished up the morning session of General Conference together over a wonderful breakfast (well, others ate while I watched) of German Pancakes and fruit, then took a long walk in Bidwell Park. My brother has lots of memories of his boyhood in that park and wanted to share the place with his girls. We marveled at the beauty, and visited as we walked. My energy was very low, so I had to stop and rest a time or two. Eventually weakness and hunger took me over and my brother drove me back to Stacy's for a bite and a rest. The others enjoyed La Comida fare (classic Chico) on blankets in the park.

The afternoon was spent in pleasant company, grown ups visiting and kids having cousin time. While the men went to the Priesthood session of conference, we ladies went shopping. I was again experiencing low energy and not feeling my best, but I was so glad to be with the people I was with!

That night, Mark and Stacy prepared a great barbecue feast and we had a spontaneous talent show of sorts. My niece Kirsten played an amazing piece on the piano that practically shook the walls. I noticed she not only plays incredibly well, but she emotes every note! She is a true talent! My nephew Cody and his girlfriend Kaelynn sang Edelweiss accompanied by guitar in a way that was harmonious and sweet and compelling! My daughter Sierra and my niece Courtney sang a touching duet called "Beautiful to Him" all about bringing out divine beauty and not worrying so much about what the world thinks is beautiful. It brought many to tears. And my children and I sang "I Am a Child of God" in three part harmony (which we almost nailed). There's something wonderful about music at family gatherings.

Unfortunately my brother's family had to leave around 10:30 p.m., as they were driving all night to get back to their home in Utah. We wish the magic could've lasted longer, but there was something truly remarkable about even that short reunion.

Before Jon and his family left, he and my brother-in-law were able to give me a blessing. I was blessed to know that my trial has a purpose, that the people I love will be softened, and that my example and influence throughout this experience will be felt far and wide.

On Sunday, my children and I were back at Stacy's for more General Conference. I felt peace and serenity as I listened, no matter what the message. But there was one talk that touched me deeply, and seemed to be directed at me personally. It was Elder Jeffery Holland's talk, which I am linking here. Lead with your strengths! Fan the flames of your faith! What we know trumps what we don't know! Stand your ground! If you've got the time, please watch it. It is such a stirring and inspirational speech. If you don't have the time, come back when you do. You won't be sorry.

Elder Holland's Talk


Among the few family members not in attendance at this short and sweet reunion were my husband Dave and my niece Marissa. For Dave the timing of this visit couldn't have been worse. As I've mentioned before, he had a very formidable deadline for his MFA project yesterday. He pulled several nearly-all-nighters in a row to get it all finished and postmarked by the required time. He still has some work to do, and he defends his project on the 30th of this month. But I am so proud of him for how hard he has worked to take an idea from concept, through a lengthy creative process, and all the way to game application. His project was ambitious! If you're inclined to pray for us, kindly include his presentation on the 30th in your good thoughts. We're hoping for an MFA and a full time job at the end of this long road.

Marissa, who lives in Fresno but couldn't join us because of her work schedule, attended something called Big Hat Days last weekend. Among the attractions was a large-scale display by an organization called Pink Heals. They are a group dedicated to helping "young women who are recovering from cancer treatment." The display was a pink fire engine and a pink police car made available for people to sign in honor of someone recovering from cancer treatments. Marissa tagged the police car with my name and I am very honored!


Thank you Marissa!





2 comments:

  1. I am so so thankful this "visit of the sibs" worked out so beautifully. Pure happiness for me from afar. ILYMTTCT

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stuff! praying for Dave's success. Your names are already on the temple prayer roll.

    ReplyDelete