Thursday, June 6, 2013

Graduation x 5

My family is chock full of graduates!

Although I wrote at length about Dave's hard work toward completing his Master of Fine Arts degree, I never announced that he indeed passed his final review (with flying colors) and is now an official graduate of San Francisco's Academy for the Arts.

Unfortunately, his graduation ceremony was scheduled for the Friday after my chemo treatment, and the Fridays following my chemo treatments are my worst days. In addition to that, we made two other trips to the bay area that month for my doctors' appointments. All this combined to smush the pomp and circumstance right out of Dave's graduation. Although the ceremony of it all was a casualty of my cancer, our family's pride in our dad and husband is very much alive.


 Congratulations Dave!

Sierra is the next graduate in the family. She has graduated from the 8th grade and is ready to move on to high school. To my delight, Sierra is a strong student of English, and will be starting the honors program in 9th grade. Unfortunately, she also takes after me in math, so she will be repeating Algebra in 9th grade. Sierra is a great public speaker and has a beautiful singing voice as well. She was selected by faculty to audition to be a graduation speaker, and made three cuts before being eliminated. She also auditioned to sing the national anthem at graduation, and it came down to her and just one other contestant, a good friend of the family. Sierra was saddened to come so close and not win, but we are happy for our friend, who also has a lovely voice. Kudos to Sierra for a) putting her hat in so many rings, and b) being a good sport. May she always have the courage to try!


 Congratulations Sierra!


In an adorable ceremony this morning, Sophie turned the monkey on her balloon hat from the back to the front, signifying the completion of Kindergarten! She has learned so much academically, but has also grown in her physical skills. Did you know that jumping rope is a Kindergarten standard? And Sophie is a master! We look forward to reading lots of books this summer and keeping her skills sharp for the first grade.

 Congratulations Sophie!

And while it doesn't technically qualify as a graduation, Knox deserves congratulations for earning two stripes on his gray belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu. Knox works hard on his "chop-chop" skills (a nick name we've adopted because it's easier than saying---or spelling---Brazilian Jiujitsu, though it must be pointed out that there is no actual chopping in the sport of Brazilian Jiujitsu), and we are proud of him for setting goals, working toward them, and achieving them.


 Congratulations Knox!

And finally, I have graduated from chemotherapy! I feel this "achievement" pales in comparison to those of my family members. For one thing, I didn't have much choice, and for another, it was in no way proactive. I showed up to the infusion room eight times, sat there, and let them flush me with chemicals. I suppose how I earned it was by dealing with all the side effects, which are well documented in my previous posts. But in any case, I'm very glad to be finished, and am grateful said chemicals did their job and my tumors are history. There is still a tough row to hoe ahead of me what with major surgery looming, but I take strength from the heroes that have preceded me, and hope that my experience can likewise be useful to those who find themselves at the beginning of their cancer journeys.


 Congratulations Me!


No comments:

Post a Comment